Carson Scholarship Process
The Ben Carson Scholarship Program awards $1000 college scholarships to students who excel academically and participate in volunteer work. The Foundation for Lee County Schools in cooperation with the Ben Carson Scholarship Program allows every Lee County School to submit the names of 3 students to be considered for the scholarship.
- Pull list of all students in grade 4-5 with GPA 3.75 or above on last day of 1st quarter 2016-17.
- List the names of students and ask teachers in grades 4, 5, special areas to vote for 8 names. Return to Admin Rep by Tuesday, 10/25/16. Criteria - students who participate in volunteer work or community service.
- 10/28/16 Letter is sent to families to explain Carson Scholarship and that their child was selected to be part of the nomination process. Directions are included in the letter for completing the essay requirement of the nomination. Essays are due Wednesday, November 16, 2016.
- Oct 28 – Nov 15, 2016: Katherine Taylor works with 8 students to finalize essays.
- Admin Committee receives essays by end of day Nov 18, 2016 to review.
- Admin Committee meets on 11/28/16 and chooses 3 students to complete on line application for scholarship.
- Sheri St John calls the families of 3 students to notify them that their children are finalists.
- Dec 1-11, 2016 - Sheri St John & Katherine Taylor work with the 3 students to complete the on line application by 12/22/16. Students need a home/parent e-mail address.
- Applications are submitted by student and parent along with required documents (report card, etc.)
- Winner of Carson Scholarship is selected by the Carson Foundation and notified by mail in March/April 2017.
- Carson Scholarship Luncheon information is included in the notification packet.