Carson Scholarship Process
The Ben Carson Scholarship Program awards $1000 college scholarships to students who excel academically and participate in volunteer work. The Foundation for Lee County Schools in cooperation with the Ben Carson Scholarship Program allows every Lee County School to submit the names of 3 students to be considered for the scholarship. The following is a list of the process we follow to nominate 3 students to the Carson Foundation.
- Pull list of all students in grade 4-5 with GPA 3.75 or above as soon as the 1st quarter ends 10/13/17.
- Compile a list of the names of eligible students and ask teachers in grades 4, 5, and special areas to vote for 8 students that demonstrate academic achievement and humanitarian qualities. Teachers return nominations to Admin Rep by Friday, 10/20/17. The 8 students with the most votes will continue the nomination process.
- Monday, 10/23/17: A letter is sent to the 8 families to explain the Carson Scholarship and that their child was selected to be part of the nomination process. Directions are included in the letter for completing the essay requirement of the nomination process. Essays are due Friday, 11/17/17.
- 11/6-11/15: Katherine Taylor works with the 8 students to finalize essays.
- Admin Committee receives essays by end of day 11/17/17 to review.
- Admin Committee meets on 11/21/17 and chooses 3 students to complete the online application for scholarship.
- Sheri St John calls the families of the 3 students to notify them that their children are finalists.
- 11/27-12/15 Sheri St. John & Katherine Taylor work with the 3 students to complete the online application by 12/21/17. Students need a home/parent e-mail address.
- Applications are submitted by student and parent along with required documents by 1/12/18 (report card, etc.)
- Winner of Carson Scholarship is selected by the Carson Foundation and notified by mail in March/April 2018.
- Carson Scholarship Luncheon information is included in the notification packet.